Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vish Puri the Indian detective

It's been a while since I've blogged about detectives but it doesn't mean that I've not been reading them. I have explored several genres since my last entry but my current favourite is the Indian private eye Vish Puri, written by Tarquin Hall.

Mr Hall must be married to an Indian and probably lives in Delhi. For he gets the colloquialism down pat. I just love mamaji, Vish's mum who is an intrepid detective herself. "Don't do tension babaji!" has become our urge to hubby who is apt to become anxious when he thinks we are late. When reading Vish, one can almost see the head wobble and smell the street food that Vish enjoys.

Having befriended many Indians here and in Malaysia, I can vouch for the authenticity of Mr Hall's portrait of the indian people. They are family oriented, love to eat and are generally fun loving. Doing business is tricky for they promise the impossible with such touching faith that when it all inevitably falls apart, you feel sorry rather than angry.

Vish, of course is a class apart, his motto: Vish Puri never fails. The plots are fantastic and I've certainly read better, but I read Vish for the pure pleasure of being transported to India for a few hours.

Location:Victoria Street,Ashfield,Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment